Monday, February 4, 2008

A FEW NOTES ON NOTICING NOTICES

When I logged in this evening to write, I was greeted with this message:

January 17, 2008
We are excited to announce that Blogger is now available in three more languages: Arabic, Hebrew, and Persian!

Notice the date of this notice. This notice had been posted more than a full two weeks before I noticed. I had failed to notice the notice for 18 days! I wondered immediately how many more notices I should have noticed but didn't; and then I wondered if anyone had noticed that I had missed their notices when they had tried get me to notice something. Then I was tired.

I have the distinct impression that God has sent out notices for a long, long time. Occasionally I notice His notices but usually (I'm ashamed to admit) I notice His notices like I noticed the above notice - way late after the fact. This realization draws a chuckle as I write and I remember the words of an old, departed friend, Terry Blake, "You can just see the fingerprints of Jesus all over that, can't you?"

I have resolved to attune my mind and heart to God's Spirit so I can see Him and hear Him in the present instead of looking back with 20/20. I want to catch Him in the act at the time He is communicating.

The notice about the new communication improvements of the world of blog - "three more languages: Arabic, Hebrew, and Persian!" - that I just noticed is exciting to learn about. I will have to brush up on my Arabic, Hebrew, and Persian (especially rusty in Persian!). But not noticing this notice probably is fairly inconsequential. Missing a notice from God may not be. I am fully aware that He has the ability to gain my attention when it is crucial to do so; I am also painfully aware that He expects me to not be "so dull", "Having eyes, I do not see. Having ears, I do not hear." I can almost hear Jesus saying to this dull disciple, "Wake up! Stop sleeping in class! I have a lot to say but you're not ready yet! Open your eyes, pay attention. My sheep hear My voice! Are you listening?"

I have decided my response from this day forward is - "I am now, LORD! Speak, your servant is listening. Open my eyes, Lord. I want to see Jesus . . . Open my ears, Lord. And help me to listen."

No comments: